Translate

Saturday, September 13, 2014

I Think I'm in Love with this School

Hello!! My name is Zakiya and I'm a brand new student at GSE in the Counseling and Mental Health Services (CMHS) program. This first post will just be an introduction of who I am and a little bit about my first impressions of Penn GSE and the CMHS program.

I was born in Brooklyn, NY, raised in Brentwood, NY, went to middle and high school in Trinidad & Tobago, studied anthropology at the University of Virginia, and now here I am in Philadelphia. I guess you could call me a traveler, but I'm actually about one-eighth Trinidadian, so that's why I spent so many years in Trinidad.

As far as who I am personally, I love reading. My favorite book is Lillith's Brood. I sometimes write poetry; I'm part of a multicultural sorority called Theta Nu Xi; I studied Japanese for 2 and a half years but now I remember only a small number of words; and I hope to learn some Chinese while I'm here.

Well, that's enough about me. Now, I'll tell you all about my experience so far at Penn. I LOVE IT! My classes have been interesting (although this week the reading is a little heavy), the professors are all easygoing and friendly, and my classmates are all so fun and we've all made friends quickly. So if you ask me how I'm adjusting, I feel like I am already in love with this place. So check back in next time to hear more about my Penn love affair...

No comments:

Post a Comment