Translate

Sunday, November 30, 2014

What I'm Thankful For

So as you may already know, this past week was Thanksgiving break, and it was a well deserved vacation for everyone! Sadly, this vacation included working on papers for both group class and interventions class, because no vacation is complete without homework. But that's just part of the student life.

Thanksgiving was so much fun! I traveled to New York to spend the weekend with my family, most of whom I hadn't seen since before I left for Philadelphia in August, so it was really good to get to spend time with my aunts, uncles, and cousins. Especially fun was the game night I went to on Saturday night, where my cousins and I played a whole bunch of games together at one cousin's house. Since my first cousins are all much older than I am, I haven't had a lot of opportunities to spend time with them, so I was especially grateful to be able to hang out with them, even if just for a few hours. One of the big benefits of being in Philadelphia is that my family is only a few hours away, so I can go visit whenever I want.

What I really wanted to talk about in this post, however, is what I'm thankful for here at Penn GSE:

1. Meeting and getting to know the other members of my cohort. It seems like just yesterday we were strangers, but in just a short amount of time I have met people with whom I hope to remain friends long after this program concludes. We've stuck by each other through hard times and celebrated with each other through the good times, and I will never be able to express how grateful I am for that.

2. Realizing how perfect a fit this program is for me. Mind you, I applied only to this program, and I did not visit the campus before accepting my offer of admission. I realized I might want to be a counselor deep into my fourth year of college, and I just went with that whim, and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Every day in this program, I realize how much I love counseling, and how ready I am to start making a difference in the lives of the clients with whom I work.

3. The African American community. I never thought I would feel so welcome and so comfortable in my own skin, because my whole life I've been told that I was an "Oreo". I wasn't "black enough". But coming here to Penn has taught me that I can be who I am; that doesn't change my identity. That is a lesson I am going to keep with me for as long as I live.

4. The professors. You just can't find people like Dr. Marsha Richardson and Dr. Ariane Thomas anywhere else, or Dr. Christina Washington (who is probably 36 but appears to be 22). These professors have made every class a joy to attend, and have shown me that being a professional with a doctorate degree does not mean you have to lose your sense of humor. They are all role models who I aspire to be like in the future.

As I look back on the past few months, I see how lucky I have been to be a part of this program and this school, and I can't wait to see what the next year has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment