Translate

Sunday, April 19, 2015

It's Worth It

This week, I had one of my best experiences at my practicum site. I led an individual counseling session and facilitated another group. And although I have done both of these things in some capacity before, on Wednesday, I got a glimpse of what it feels like to really make a difference in a client's life.

During the group, one client, who is usually engaged and helpful, appeared to become restless and angry. I asked what was wrong but got no answer, and expected that I never would. However, after the group was over, the client came up to me and told me she was going through something, and it had nothing to do with the group. I thanked her for sharing that with me. What was so great about this experience is knowing that the clients at my site see me as someone they can share with, someone who cares what they're going through.

Similarly, during my individual session, the client appeared listless and annoyed. However, using only the basic counseling skills I've learned this year, I was able to turn the session around to where she became comfortable disclosing how she felt. This experience left me feeling something I hope every counselor feels at least once in their life. It left me feeling FULFILLED.

There aren't many professions where you can interact with people who have had difficulties all throughout their lives, learn who they are inside, and teach them to trust again. I mention this experience simply because I want every beginning counselor to know that one day, you will feel like you're making a difference. And on that day, you'll realize it was all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment