Translate

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Papers, Papers, Papers

In a few more days I will be finished with the first semester of graduate school! It's funny because I've been hearing so many people saying that they just finished their first semester of grad school and I haven't really been able to celebrate because I am still three papers away from that milestone. Having a transcript to write puts it all into perspective for me. And it's interesting to see how much different it is being here than it was to be in undergrad. Were people this excited to finish their first semester of their undergraduate first year? I'm not sure. 

But anyway the point is that we're almost done! Just a few months ago I was scared about how difficult graduate school would be, but while it has been a challenging semester, it has also been an enjoyable one, much much more than the first semester of undergrad. 

I think a good recap of the semester is that it was productive. I read (almost) every reading, and I worked hard to do deeper reflection and sometimes extra research for our papers. And while my enthusiasm could be, and has been, deemed overkill, I think I'm a better person for it. I learned so much more than I would have, not only about counseling skills, theories, and concepts, but about myself. 

Looking back on the past few months, I'd say I'm proud that I stuck sticky notes in the pages of the textbook chapters that I read word for word. I'm happy that I used those extra articles for that theory paper. I'm glad that I put my all into the program, because even if it wasn't completely necessary, it has made this program all the more worthwhile. 

This has, hands down, been one of the best semesters of my entire student career. I have made friends who I hope to keep for a lifetime, maybe even moving out to live closer to some of them. I have seen my faults but also my strengths, and I am using this knowledge to try to become the best I can be. I have learned how to be an empathetic, driven, and ethical counselor. And I have become an Adlerian. And I must say that this semester has been a SUCCESS!

I am so looking forward to getting back here in the spring, when I get to spend another few months with some of the best people out there, the Kounseling Krew. 


No comments:

Post a Comment