Translate

Monday, December 15, 2014

You're Adlerian? Prove It!

Today was our very final interventions class! It's kind of funny how all of our professors are so excited that the semester is finally over. Not that I'm not excited...I guess I'm excited. But I feel like I could go for a few more weeks. Maybe that's because I don't have a practicum yet, so I'm not as worn out by life as some of the other members of the cohort are.

OH but I do have a practicum! Last week I went out to an interview at Gaudenzia, a co-occurring drug and alcohol treatment center where three other members have already been placed. I'm a little nervous: the interviewer told me as I sat there that the site is not for the "sensitive", and as much as I would love to see myself as having a tough skin, I definitely do not. So I'll have to grow one if I want to be successful. I wonder if that's something I'll be able to work on during the winter break. Perhaps I'll join the army over the break? I guess we'll see...

But anyway the point I wanted to bring up in this post is what we talked about in our very last interventions class period. We discussed each of our theoretical orientations and how we are going to foster our knowledge of the orientation and our skills at using the techniques. I thought about how I consider myself Adlerian, with some sprinkles of person-centered and cognitive-behavioral theories mixed in, and I wondered about how I'm going to learn more about Adler, PCT, and CBT. From whom will I seek supervision? Where will I go to attend workshops and conferences?

These are definitely questions that I, and every beginning counselor, should answer. I look forward to learning everything I can about my favorite orientations, and I hope to do my part to improve my theory's professional organizations, so that Adlerians on the whole can improve how clients see our orientation. I worry that the lack of time spent on the websites for our orientation gives a poor presentation to potential clients, and I hope to be one of the instrumental people in changing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment